Friday, September 21, 2007

To p FI ve Thin Gs About K O R E A thus far

Number Five: This is lame, but i will say it anyway, its a new and different country. Its always fun to experience new cultures and, well, this is one of them.

Number Four: Students journals/emails/text messages. I believe its important to approach learning a language in a lighthearted manner. When I was learning German I had to laugh at myself and all the awckward moments it created. One time i spent about 10 minutes trying to explain to a grade two class (and the teacher) how to play a game. But instead of saying "sagen" (say), i said "sehen" (see) and continually repeated this for ten minutes wondering what they were not understanding. Anyway, I think the same is here at Connexus, its important to have fun with translation and a lot of the messages and notes that students give us are rather humourous. I'm sure now you all want some examples of this, well its not going to happen. This is called a teaser. It just wouldnt be funny without context, sorry.

Number Three: Yes, this is basically the same as Number Five. I like being in an "Eastern" country, whatever that means. The difference being that when I was in Germany, my friends and I knew the same history. Greece-Rome-Karl der Grosse/Charlemagne-Napoleon-yada, yada, yada. Here in my English Classes I cant assume that if I mention a western historical figure my students will know who that is. I find this refreshing and challenges me on assumptions that I too easily make.

Number Two: Its exciting to learn about the Korean Anabaptist Church that is emerging. I don't know the entire history yet, I am supposed to go out for coffee with someone who will tell me a bit about Christianity and Anabaptism in Korea. But the church is an exciting and inspirational place. With it being so small, it almost reminds me of the radical reformation when the Anabaptist churches were full of people who "converted" to Anabaptism rather than grew up in Anabaptism. Please don't misunderstand me, I am so very thankful that I grew up in a Mennonite home and had the opportunity to participate in different Mennonite organizations. But I find it really interesting to see this community emerge and to see how they will develop Anabaptism in the Korean context where no significant tradition of Anabaptism is present.

Number One: Well this isnt really a top five, I was just a little bored and felt like writing some things down and sharing them with you. Hope thats ok. Shalom,

No comments: