Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Experiences at the doctor

I have to share about my experiences with the Korean medical system. First I think it is pretty amazing. This afternoon I went to the doctor for my second time, but now at a different clinic. (I have this bad cough that I can't kick) First, I was amazed because at both clinics I didn't have to wait to see a doctor. In Canada this is unheard of...at least with my past experiences. Eun Kyong has been my translator at both of these visits; she is the receptionist for Connexus in the mornings and works for KAC in the afternoon. Today we didn't see one doctor but two, one specialized in more western medical practices and the other in eastern practices. So, I sat there in front of these two doctors as they spoke in Korean to Eun Kyong about my health. I wish I could understand!Eun Kyong was very helpful though and gave me the info...I might have minor bronchitis. Anyway, then I went into the hall where they did this treatment and I had to breath in this stuff (smelled kind of like Vicks products) for 10 minutes. Then we had to wait for a bit..I didn't totally understand..but because we were waiting the receptionist gave us this cool coffee drink! What nice service. Anyway, we left the doctors office and went to the pharmacy, and again I have all of these pills to take and this liquid to drink! Feels kind of funny because I don't really know what the pills are...In Korea the doctor usually only prescribes medicine for three days, seems short to me. I just hope they make me better!

1 comment:

Dustin said...

okay, so it's official. both canada and korea have better health systems than the U.S. *tear

I hope you feel better though Vanessa. Its really neat reading all your' posts!

-Dustin