Monday, September 10, 2007

Confessions of a Western Imperialist

I like to think of myself as a "worldly" person, whatever that means. Open to new things, alternative understandings, different traditions, etc. I have enjoyed learning different languages as a means to understand cultural idiosyncrasies and perhaps most importantly I am uncomfortable with the mass export of American/Western culture throughout the world. I didn't like seeing McDonalds and Pizza Hut throughout Europe and I see the same influence in Seoul. Perhaps even more so in Seoul where on almost every sign there is some English phrase. Anyway, this is all to say that I confess to thee today that I enjoyed going to Subway last week, the North American sandwich chain. I have really enjoyed the Korean food thus far, but it was a welcome break to enjoy a filling footlong sub. Korean food is spicy, which i enjoy, but sometimes the smell of seafood at 9am is not the most welcoming since for breakfast I prefer cereal or toast to eel or kimchi. Its not that bad, it will take a bit of time to get used to, but I thought I would share this anyway.
On a related note, because of the influence of English here in Korea, i have decided to start documenting English signs that i find interesting . Here is the beginning of my research.
More to come, hopefully,
Shalom,

1 comment:

elisabeth b said...

loving the updates, you two. miss you millions and millions of times.

i think you should post about married life. sick of each other yet? or still madly in love.

it's been 4 whole months. time for the real story.