Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Church

I recently had a one-on-one class because some other students did not show up. So instead of going with my plan, I let the conversation go where it led. Soon we were talking about routine, and how in English we use the present tense to describe our routines even though they have all taken place in the past. Ex: I wake up and take a shower, not, I woke up and took a shower. Anyway, so I asked her to describe her Sunday routine to me. I knew she went to Church, but I had no idea how intense it was for her. This is what she described.

She begins church at 9am with worship service. After she teaches the children at children's worship (what I think is our equivalent of Sunday school). After that is lunch, where she sells tea and raises money for missions. After lunch is the youth worship service where she plays piano. After that is Bible study. Than there is supper and after supper she has a volunteer meeting as she helps with the accounting at church. At this point it is about 9 pm. And if this is not enough, on some Sunday evenings she has a youth meeting.

Surprised by this i decided to ask her about her Saturday routine. I also knew from past discussions that she would usually attend church on Saturday as well. While I forget the exact routine for Saturday, it did involve cooking food, handing out to kids on the way home from school, attending another worship service and practicing with the youth worship team. In total Saturdays were usually 9-12 hours of church activities.

I was rather amazed at such energy and time put towards church on her weekends. She told me her weeks are easier than her weekends. You can make your own conclusions. This still amazes me.

No comments: