Thursday, November 22, 2007

Birthday & Thanksgiving

I am now one year older. My birthday has come and gone. It was really good and I felt really loved as I received phone calls, emails and facebook messages. I also felt loved by the people I know in Korea. At Connexus it is tradition, well at least since we have been here, that when a person has a birthday we "surprise" them with a cake. What we do is we all huddle in the kitchen here at the office and turn off the lights and then one person gets the birthday person and we all yell surprise as they enter the room. This usually happens after lunch or after the afternoon classes. Well, it was around 5:00 and my afternoon class had just ended so I was sitting at my desk pretending I didn't know what was going to happen. I noticed some people whispering behind me and some shuffling in the kitchen. But then, as I was sitting at my desk I heard a bang..and the happy birthday song began. This was the first time that we had the birthday cake in the office...so I was truly surprised...
After work some of us went out to this european pub. Thus concludes my birthday.

Once a month we have a Connexus/KAS community meal. This usually means we go out some where. This month we decided to have a Thanksgiving meal made by us and since today is actually American Thanksgiving we decided to have it today. I kind of feel like I have celebrated Thanksgiving over and over...with Choesok in September when we had our holiday, and then when we went to Chuncheon with our church...and now again, but this was the first time that we actually ate thanksgiving food. So, Mark, Karen, and myself made the meal. The chicken was bought already cooked but we did the rest (sadly we couldn't find turkey). I enjoyed making mashed potatoes...it brought me back to my days in Germany. Kyung Jung's (on the very right) wife baked a pumpkin pie that he brought with him to work. It was very delicious.
These pictures are taken in our kitchen/dining room/lounge where we eat lunch and usually supper everyday.
Anyway, that's all. Happy Thanksgiving to my american readers and thanks again for all of the birthday wishes.

1 comment:

Alissa said...

Hi Vanessa and Mark!
I was just perusing your blog today and I thought I should introduce myself. You may have at least heard my name from Mark's parents as much as I've heard yours... I'm Alissa Bender and I began as Associate Pastor at First Mennonite in Calgary just over 2 months ago!

It sounds like there is much that is new and exciting in your adjustment to life in Korea. I guess you get to see my friends Will & Ana sometimes too (I was at Grebel with them).

I hope this new and sometimes strange (I imagine) adventure continues to bring you joy and growth, and I look forward to hearing and reading more about your experiences.
Peace,
Alissa