Thursday, October 11, 2007

Holiday every day

I have had a number of jobs that involve me starting/finishing at times either late in the evening or early in the morning. Usually these jobs involve a fairly quiet and solitary trip to work. In Winnipeg I would often bike to work and I always enjoyed the bike ride. I would bike down Portage ave and find traffic limited. These were peaceful journeys that helped me relax before and after work. The one exception was when there were holidays, and only holidays of a special kind. New Years Eve is the only holiday I can remember where I left work at Midnight and there was still some activity on the streets.

I am still not used to the amount of people. Our last class finishes at around 10pm and we usually leave work between 10 and 11. After a long day of work I still anticipate a quiet and solitary walk home with my head down pondering over the day's events, but I step out of the building and I am a little surprised at the activity. This is why every day is a holiday here, I always feel like all the activity on the streets at 11pm must mean a special day. But no, I am wrong. Its just a normal day and my walk home at night involves walking with my head up, dodging people on the sidewalk, being tempted by the street vendors selling food, shoes, clothes, dvd's, cell phone things and other random junk.

Its fun and its different and every day when I step outside, I still get a tinge of excitement that there is some festivity planned that I can observe on my travels home.

No comments: