Monday, October 8, 2007

Freestyle

Its kind off a running joke here that Connexus does stuff "freestyle." Our boss, Jae Young, is always talking about doing stuff freestyle. Basically this means we have to be flexible and whatnot, which i think is rather important when working in an international workplace. It reminds me of my time in Germany. During my year in Germany we had Canadians, Americans, Paraguayans, Russians, Ukrainians, Germans, Kasack's and Uzbek's all working in the same office. At different times many differences would become apparent and while it took me some time to get used to it all, I think I eventually enjoyed that. Although if I stayed longer than one year maybe it would have been more difficult for me to let things go.
Here in Korea its not quite so extreme, but "freestyle" is still important to me, especially with teaching. It is hard to understand what my students really want from class because I don't entirely know their language background and I cant really read my students yet (body language, facial expressions, etc). Although I am learning slowly, its still challenging and I have to be careful not to assume I know what they want based on what I would want. This makes things especially difficult when I am trying to evaluate my own classes because my only criteria is what I think. So any kind of critical thought is rooted in my own opinions and assumptions. How can i be critical of my classes while not making assumptions? Well at least we have class surveys once a month which should help.
Anyway, this was going to be a blog entry talking about our church here, but rants are always fun. Freestyle, right? Shalom,

No comments: