Sunday, January 13, 2008

Suddenly One Year Older

Growing up I always thought that every where in the world people added up their age in the same way. I have learned that I was mistaken. Before coming to Korea I had heard vaguely that my age in Canada is different than my "Korean age." I'm sure Korean isn't alone in how they figure out age but I really have no idea which other countries also use their same method. Currently I am at a P.C. Bong which is similar to a Internet Cafe. Most people seem to be playing computer games around me...I can hear gun shots in the background. I'm trying to drown it out with my music but with little success. Anyway, for some reason this computer is not letting me research this age thing...some korean words flash on the screen as I try to use google...who knows...So, anyway, back to the point. In Korea when a baby is born the baby is already one year old. And Koreans don't become one year older on their birthday but instead with the change of the new year, so every one becomes one year older on the same day. I was born in November 1983, and in Korean standards I was actually already 2 years old in January 1984. This means I just turned 26 in Korea and in Canada standards I just turned 24 two months ago. I'm getting old so fast. Crazy!

1 comment:

elisabeth b said...

you're ANCIENT!!!!

you should start putting in for a retirement home now...it's all downhill from here!