Thursday, January 31, 2008

Good things, bad things

The nice part about being a teacher in a society that is highly influenced by Confucianism is that teachers are given a lot of respect. This includes gifts at times, or the students who can not but help call me "Teacher Mark." I usually tell them that they can call me just "Mark." After a few classes they recognize that Connexus is a little more relaxed and they grow content with that. Although I still dont know if this is good or bad, a pseudo form of cultural imperialism perhaps. Anyway, so I i have one student who is the graphic designer for Nike Korea. He offered me tickets to a friendly between Korea and Chile last night. That is the good thing about being a teacher in Korea.
The bad thing is that teaching adults in Korea means working late hours so that I wasnt able to accept the tickets as I had to work. Take the good with the bad i suppose. I watched the second half of the game on tv, and i didnt miss much, it wasnt a well played game.
Next week we are going to see Korea play Turkmenistan in a world cup qualifier match, hopefully it will be a little more interesting.

No comments: