Wednesday, January 23, 2008

breaking wind

I have been working on getting conversation going with some of my High-Basic classes. I decided to get the students to work at creating a discussion out of yes and no questions. We began with how it is a little rude to answer only yes and no, but if you want to be polite its good to always say "Yes, I do, am, have, etc." and then maybe add some extra information to get the conversation flowing. We studied the grammar of yes and no questions, moved to answering them and then talked about the importance of follow up questions to help a conversation.
At about half way through the class the students were asked to write down one yes and no question they wanted to ask another person and to start a conversation from that. The students broke into pairs, and one of my students who is in high school, asked her partner, "Did you breaking wind yesterday?" Then she had to explain what breaking wind meant.
So in response we talked about how to avoid certain questions, perhaps "I forget" or the classic answering a questions with a question, "why do you ask?" I never expected that question as a conversation starter. The class continued with her confessing she did many times yesterday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is awesome. classic. so glad you wrote it down.